Saturday, November 05, 2005

Other words

Last weekend I went to a conference in San Jose for newspaper editors (yes, my title has officially gained the word "editor"), and while I enjoyed it, the most valuable experience has been its reverberations throughout this week.

I'm on one of my idea kicks, where I'm just on the edge of manic, coming up with new solutions to problems and sometimes-grandiose plans for change. And just about each day, I've gone back through all the handouts from the conference, and I've been checking out newspaper ideas from around the country.

But what I've gotten really hooked on is Alicia's Story, a series in the San Francisco Chronicle by a 23-year-old copyeditor who has metastasized cancer. Robert Rosenthal mentioned his work with Alicia at the conference, and I was curious. While it's definitely not the type of story that can be replicated (and thereby help me on my idea kick), it's more than worth the time it takes to sit down and read.

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?