Friday, February 11, 2005

Ode to Valentine's

So, every year I write some sort of half-attempted ode to V-day, because I really have had some spectacular Valentine's days. I realized recently that I spent every year in college single on this silly day devoted to romantic love. And you know what? Every one of them was memorable.

There was the year that I broke up with boy a little too late, and while I was without an official Valentine, I still received flowers. That was fun.
Then there was the "Surprise! I'm gay!" Valentine's Day. Hmmm, that's probably about when he officially got crossed off the list.
There was the anti-romance Valentine's movie night, where I was scarred for life. There really is too much sex on television.
Then there was my favorite--the year of the random-act-of-kindness roses. Everyone on Mill Avenue was strolling along with dozens of roses, handed out by strangers (and looking strangely like a car commercial).

Anyways, since I think my fav V-Days have all been while I was single (sorry love), I wanted to write an article this week about being single on Valentine's Day. It fell through (I wrote about chocolate instead), but not before I found this kinda nifty site, International QuirkyAlone Day. Motto: "It's not anti-Valentine's Day. It just happens to fall on the same day."

Finally, a Feb. 14 tradition that I can really get behind.

Comments:

Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?